Friday, July 3, 2015

Lots of tests, not much accomplished

I started, tried, (and failed at) a lot of things today:

  • I went and bought a lace dress at the thrift store in the hopes of cutting out the pattern to make earrings. When I get this right it's going to look great, but I tried out a homemade fabric stiffener made of Elmer's glue and water, and it made the fabric kind of crusty. :T
  • I started to unpick the fake pockets on a pair of jeans, and got as far as attempting to pin the new pocket inside the jeans, but then realized I have no gold thread to match the existing top-stitiching. :(
  • I tried to take an old shirt and make a baseball tee out of it, but I decided the shirt I was going to use as the sleeves and as side panels to expand the shirt wasn't going to work. Mostly since it wasn't a baseball tee. :B
  • The one thing I feel was at least somewhat successful was an experiment to dye some black fabric I had bleached. It worked okay: the fabric had been a burnt orange and now it's sort of a blue-green-brown- not what I wanted, but I feel confident that if I bleach the fabric a little more and make it lighter, the dye will take better. :D
  • In the furtherance of this experiment, however, I ended up completely destroying a shirt (that luckily I didn't care too much about) by submerging it in pure bleach for about ten minutes. When I checked on it it was foaming and had made rusty stains on the shirt and the pot. Just picking it up and wringing it out tore huge hole in the fabric. >:T
Now I'm going to go out to eat with hubby and try to learn from my mistakes instead of brooding over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment