Thursday, July 2, 2015

Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

I should like chicken noodle soup. I love chicken in all its varieties, and I love soup as well. But I've never met a chicken noodle soup I liked. Mostly it's the texture: thin broth with chunks of chicken and large noodles don't work for me. Then I had the idea to make it creamy! There were a lot of recipes for creamy chicken noodle soup when I googled it, so I combined the aspects of each that I liked into one Franken-recipe. Here it is.

Ingredients

1 pound chicken breasts
3 carrots
4 small celery stalks
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
2 cups egg noodles
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup water
Parsley flakes

Slice chicken breasts into big chunks (you'll be shredding it later, so just slice it into thin enough chunks that they cook through easily), slice carrots, celery, dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with noodles, broth, water and parsley. Cook on low heat for 6 hours. At about five and a half hours, shred chicken and add one half pint of heavy whipping cream and stir.

It turned out pretty well for a first attempt. First problem was that I added the egg noodles right away, so they had completely disintegrated by the end. One recipe said to add them 8-10 minutes before serving and turn the crock pot up to high. Another problem is that the chicken was fairly dry. This is either because I didn't sear it, or because I forgot to add salt. I also think I should have added thyme or something because it was a tiny bit bland. All in all, it came out more like a chowder than a chicken noodle soup, but I liked it, and I'll definitely be trying it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment